Day of Prayer & Fasting
October 25, 2019
On Friday, October 25th, the elders of Grace have called for a Day of Prayer and Fasting. They are asking that each of us who call Grace our church home would consider fasting a meal or an activity or even the entirety of the day in order to devote that time to prayer for our church. We will then gather at 6:00pm that evening at the church for an extended time of prayer as a community.
I want to encourage you all to truly be earnest in praying for our church at this time. We are facing several challenges right now as a church community and I am sure that many of you are facing personal challenges as well. However, when we are faced with such challenges, we are not alone. The Bible tells us that the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness, interceding for us even when we don’t know exactly what to do or pray (Romans 8:26-27). When Jesus told the parable of the Persistent Widow in Luke 18:1-8, Luke even records that Jesus told his followers the parable so that they would “always pray and never lose heart.” So prayer strengthens us, it unites us, and it build’s us up. We are supposed to be “continually steadfast in prayer.” (Colossians 4:2).
What we need now as a community more than anything is to grow in our desperate dependence upon Jesus. One key way of growing in that dependence is through this wonderful gift of prayer. We intend for this Day of Prayer and Fasting to be a time where we are honest and open about the needs of our church and yet at the same time willing to turn and run to Jesus, trusting him to provide for our needs and to help us to grow.
Would you consider prioritizing this time of prayer as we lift the needs of our church body up to the Lord?
During the Day of Prayer and Fasting, we will be prioritizing prayer for these following areas:
- Spiritual Growth: That our community will grow in being gospel-shaped and theologically grounded on the truth of the gospel.
- Pursuing reconciliation in our personal conflicts: That our community will grow in humility and compassion for one another and yet at the same time the boldness that is necessary to speak the truth in love to each other and be open and honest about our feelings and hurts.
- Personal Needs: That the health and job related needs in our community are met.
- Leadership: That God will give wisdom and direction to our church’s leadership to shepherd our congregation well and lead wisely.
- Financial Health and Stewardship: That Grace’s financial needs will be met and that our leaders will know how to be good stewards of the resources that God has given us.
- Witness & Evangelism: That we will, as a community, grow in our desire to see people come to know Christ; taking the risks necessary to talk to the people in our lives about Jesus and to invite more people to Sunday worship.
Please join us Friday, October 25th at 6:00pm for an extended time of prayer as a church community, because we all need Jesus. I’m sure that you will be blessed during this time and that our church will be blessed by having you there.
Grace & Peace,
Grace Presbyterian Church